No shame in my cinnamon sugar cake donut game! Easy and made with ingredients you probably already have in your paleo pantry! These are a decadent treat perfect for when you are missing something sweet in your life!
Paleo Cake Donuts (CEP, AIP, Wahls)
Prep Time - Cook Time - Total Time
10 min 25 min 35 min
Makes 4 donuts
For the donuts:
½ cup + 1 Tbsp. coconut flour
1 cup almond flour (for CEP/AIP replace with tigernut flour or additional coconut flour and use the palm shortening to make them more moist)
3 duck eggs OR 4 chicken eggs OR 4 gelatin eggs. (For CEP/AIP use the gelatin egg. Directions below on how to prepare a gelatin egg)
2 Tbsp. coconut oil melted
2 Tbsp. bacon fat melted (or palm shortening or additional coconut oil. Palm shortening will yield the most moist texture)
1 tablespoon of Coconut Sugar (you can adjust this according to taste)
Pinch of salt
For the topping:
1-2 tbsp. maple syrup
2 tbsp. coconut sugar
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
For the gelatin egg (this makes 4 gelatin eggs)
4 Tbsp. great lakes gelatin
4 Tbsp. room temperature water
12 Tbsp. boiling water
**pour 4 Tbsp. of room temp water into a small bowl and then add your gelatin puring it in slowly. Let bloom for about 5 minutes. Then pour your 12 tbsp. of boiling water into your bloomed gelatin and using a small whisk or a fork whisk until the mixture becomes frothy.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking pan with parchment paper or if using a donut baking pan grease it with coconut oil.
2. Combine your dry ingredients: flours, coconut sugar, salt into a small bowl and then combine your wet ingredients: eggs or egg replacer, melted fats into a seperate bowl.
3. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients about 1 tbsp. at a time until desired consistency is reached. You do not want them to be too dry or too wet.
4. Form the dough into balls and flatten them slightly to shape a "biscuit type shape. This recipe makes 4 donuts. Using a small circular cookie cutter, cut out the center of your dough to form a donut shape. You also have the option of using a donute shaped baking pan such as this one here.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
6. When the donuts come out the oven brush a little maple syprup over the tops of the donuts and sprinkle the cinnamon/coconut sugar topping on top.
Options for other AIP/CEP glazes
Coconut butter glaze:
1/4 cup melted coconut butter
1 tbsp. maple syrup
1/8 tsp. vanilla powder
1-2 Tbsp. pureed berries to top the glaze
*Combine melted coconut butter, maple syrup and vanila powder together and you can dip your donuts in the glaze or drizzle on top. Top with the berry puree.
Powdered Donuts (CEP)
1 Cup coconut sugar
2 tsp. sweet potato starch
*Combine the ingredients into a high powered blender or a coffee grinder and mix together until a very fine powder is formed