Summer celebrations are here and it is time to grill! Memorial day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Saturday, Sunday, everyday…It’s time to eat! First let’s set a menu. We know there are going to be meats galore.. because that is how American’s celebrate! Right? First thing is first.. for your convenience, this post may contain affiliate links. To read my full disclosure policy click here.
Main dish ideas:
- Burgers- see my sliders post for inspiration for toppings! (and a sweet potato “bun”)
- Shish Kabobs
- Pork Shoulder
- Ribs- Pork or Beef Short Ribs- Rub them down with garlic, lemon and herbs!
- Chicken Legs
- Crawfish or Shrimp (Check out this AIP friendly shrimp boil recipe from Autoimmune Odyssey! Note: She uses black peppercorns which are an AIP reintro. Omit these for AIP and consider onlon powder instead)
- For spice blend ideas, the best source I have seen are in this recipe book here. (Honestly its the best cook book EVER! It will blow you away!)
BBQ is synonymous with 4th of July and it is definitely time to fire up the grill! (Make sure to make extra as part of your weekly batch cooking! Meat freezes also– hello, easy and delicious meals of my future!) To make this feel like an extra special BBQ day, try this AIP friendly BBQ sauce from Enjoying This Journey. You can also buy this pre-made AIP friendly BBQ sauce.
- Cole Slaw– use apple cider vinegar and oil, with a bit of sea salt and honey to season.
- Apple Slaw– Same dressing as above but shred an apple with your cabbage.
- No-tato Salad
- There is a great paleo version of german potato salad over at Fast Paleo (click here to see the original) But it is not AIP. However it can be made AIP using these changes:
- Sweet Potato Fries (or any root vegetables: parsnips, turnips, carrots, etc.
- Broccoli Salad. Here is an AIP version from Adventures in Partaking.
- AIP Caesar Salad (see Dressing Recipe Link Below). Use these Pork Clouds for croutons.
Condiments and Sauces make everything better!
Snacks and Appetizer ideas
- Plantain chips and Guacamole– omit the nightshades and add exttra lime juice and cilantro!
- Pineapple Salsa– Pineapple, red onion and radishes mixed with avocado and lime juice. Mince finely and serve with plantain chips!
- Grilled Veggie Kabobs– Onion and Pineapple with Ham with Coconut Aminos.
And of course, no celebration is complete without ….
- Raspberry Coconut Popsicles from Pure and Simple Nourishment
- Mango Popsicles (use the same recipe but switch the fruit!)
- Egg Free Coconut Cookies (Ice cream sandwiches, anyone?) from Almost Autism
- Nice cream: Here is a recipe from Diet Hood using blueberries. But the blueberries can be subbed for other fruit like mango or strawberry. You can also use just the banana and add things like Coconut cream or vanilla, apple sauce and cinnamon, or carob and mint extract.
- Sorbet. Freeze fruit (maybe watermelon?) and stick it in the food processor to make it smooth.